Friday, 19 July 2013

Ice Cream for Dinner: A Confession

Before I start filling this blog with race reports and artfully-arranged salads (and to stop it all getting a little bit smug), I have a confession to make. I am a 23-year-old who is supposedly on a diet, but on Monday, I had ice cream for dinner. Not dessert, but dinner. I guess you could count the waffle as the starter, the scoop of Half-Baked as the main, making pudding the seconds (and thirds) I levered out of the tub as it rapidly melted on the patio ... Who am I kidding? Sometimes, despite the most careful planning and tracking, life gets in the way.




Although the heatwave we’re having in England right now has definitely turned it into a staple food group, not every day this week has culminated in ice cream. Temperatures endlessly pushing 30C definitely call for salad. Luckily, Weight Watchers has robbed me of the misconception that I'm not a salad person. Here’s one of my favourite salads from this week, and how to make it:



Chicken & Sweet Potato Salad. Preheat oven to 200C. Wrap a chicken breast in foil and place it on a baking tray. Cover the rest of the baking tray in greaseproof paper and cover it in a mixture of cubed sweet potato, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes. Spray with Fry Light or similar (or a small amount of olive oil.) Season with ground black pepper and shove it in the oven for about 20 minutes (it’s salad, it’s not an exact science.) Check the chicken is cooked through, then shred it using a knife and fork. Toss all the ingredients together with salad leaves, season with black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. I love fresh herbs in salad so I try and always chuck in some freshly torn basil to lift the flavour.


Running in this heat has been a challenge, but I’ve really been craving it this week. On Tuesday evening I shook out the stress of a very long day at work with the kind of run that wipes your brain clean. Thought disintegrates and pales behind the immediacy of foot, leg, hand – the body turned machine and the legs as pistons, pedals, pushing you forward. Afterwards my body and mind felt so gloriously wrung out, like a lemon squeezed of every last pip. Running as anaesthetic. 

5 comments:

  1. enjoyed this lemon metaphor, made me laugh even though it's just me and lucky up at this hour!
    Have been thinking of making a big salad to have in the fridge for a few days at a time to eat when I get home from work (can hardly tuck into hot food at midnight but I do need something!), would this be good cold? Looks gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh Lucky, that little night-owl. Yes this one would be good cold - except maybe the sweet potato, not had that cold before. Also I'm not sure I'd want to eat sweet potato at midnight but it's whatever floats your boat! :) x

      Delete
    2. not sure I want to eat anything at midnight but needs must!!

      Delete
  2. I love this post! I can relate to cheating on a diet (on numerous occasions), so it's always comforting to hear somebody's experiences with the same issue.This is especially true when that someone has been so successful with their diet!

    I also really appreciate that the picture (and description) of the salad is SO much more appealing than that of the ice cream :)

    P.s. I am definitely making that salad, it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers T. And I've got to say the salad was better ;)

      Delete