Monday, 29 July 2013

Not doing a Nigella


My feet have hardly touched the ground this week. As predicted - too much caffeine and driving half-asleep, long days and short nights. Right now things feel as if they are in suspended animation, events wrapped in the cellophane crackle of imminent departure. I have definitely taken my foot off the brake food-wise this week (too much eating already on the run half-way out the door) and my move to London has left me absolutely flat broke so I’m on a strict budget at the moment. Luckily cheesecake always finds a way to balance the books. A friend invited a few of us over for dinner this evening in his new flat – obviously a great excuse to make dessert. I went for the Mascarpone Tart that my sister blogged about here. The only thing I changed was to add a tsp of lemon juice in the place of the vanilla essence (I thought I had vanilla but I didn’t ... improvisation!) but apart from that I kept it the same and it was delicious. Incredibly smooth and somehow lighter than cheesecake, she’s right. I managed not to do a Nigella and eat the whole thing in the car on the way to the party (although I will admit to licking the bowl, raw eggs and all.)




The weather has turned stormy here, clouds finally boiling over into torrential downpours that slow our cars to snails’ pace. I can’t stop listening to this and this and I’m still trying to pack. Thoughts all squeezed into the corners of the room.


1 comment:

  1. Nigella must be a terrible dinner guest. Promise a dessert, turn up empty handed and with no appetite! Would much rather have you for dinner any day :)

    ReplyDelete