Sunday, 27 October 2013

Love/hate lasagne

I have a love/hate relationship with lasagne. With making it, anyway (the eating part is all love.) I find it hugely satisfying to pull a huge dish full of food out of the oven, I love that it easily makes so many portions, and it's perfect for serving to lots of people at once. But honestly, any recipe that uses more than three pans will try my patience. I made a beef lasagne a few months ago for a party and although it was really delicious, constructing it kept me up until almost midnight. 

But a few weeks ago, I came across a Spinach and Tomato Lasagne recipe that looked so good I was tempted to relax my lasagne ban. I'm glad I did; It kept us going through an incredibly tense Great British Bake Off final. Unlike the finalists' wedding cakes, it didn't take me six hours to make, and actually it's a breeze compared to a classic lasagne. 



It looked so fresh before it went in the oven!


And it didn't look too bad when it came out, either. Excuse my feet. (Scroll right down for the recipe.)

My long run this week is planned for tomorrow, although judging by the forecast it might be a very soggy one. The autumn colours in Acton Park are stunning:



I have been trying to make the most of London lately. This seems to have coincided with more hungover Sunday mornings ... Saturday night by St. Paul's - I love the way the dome looms up at you gleaming when you turn every corner:


My friend Ellie has been drawing up a West London bucket list. First on the agenda was Sunday lunch at The Dove in Hammersmith which I cannot recommend enough. Get there early, though; it fills up fast and it's tiny. We all had the roast which arrived almost instantly and reminded me of how wonderful red cabbage is. We sat inside but they had the big patio doors open and the autumn light was flooding in - there are vines in the roof and it has a lovely indoors-outdoors feeling. 


When we finished lunch it looked like this so we decided to walk along the tow path to Barnes:


Half an hour later it no longer looked like this. "Drowned rats" doesn't even come close - we got caught in a torrential, never-ending downpour and got absolutely soaked to the skin. Harry Potter and hot chocolate saved the day. Any more suggestions for West London fun?


Spinach & Tomato Lasagne


Serves 6. Weight Watchers ProPoints per serving: 7

1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic gloves, finely chopped
2 courgettes, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar
2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
200ml stock
250g spinach, reserving a handful for the topping
400g can green lentils in water, drained
6 lasagne sheets
125g cherry tomatoes, halved
75g Parmesan cheese, grated

for the white sauce:
600ml skimmed milk
25g cornflour
pinch of nutmeg

1 Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan oven. Mist a pan with low calorie cooking spray and add the onion, garlic, courgettes, carrots and oregano. Cook for 5-10 minutes over a medium heat. Add the sugar, tomatoes and stock and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the spinach and lentils and cook for 2 minutes until wilted.
2 For the white sauce, mix the milk and cornflour in a pan, stirring until smooth, then simmer for 3 mins until thick. Season and add the nutmeg.
3 Spoon half the tomato sauce into a 2.5litre ovenproof dish, then space the 3 lasagne sheets around the dish. Add the rest of the tomato sauce and half the white sauce, then the remaining 3 lasagne sheets. Pour over the rest of the white sauce, then scatter over the reserved spinach and tomatoes, and top with the Parmesan. Bake for 40 mins, or until the pasta is cooked, then serve. 

2 comments:

  1. That recipe looks AMAZING. It also looks like it's 18 levels above my skill :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly not. And veggie so impossible to poison yourself, haha.

      Delete